Monday, August 22, 2016

"Lure Six" By Contemporary Artist, ITHAKA



"Lure"
Artist: Ithaka


Using discarded surfboards as the base material for the majority of my artwork is a way of continuously connecting to the ocean even when I'm on land. Surfing has provided me with an infinite amount of happiness and has fueled my entire life course of aquatic global wanderings and creative expression. I feel infinitely thankful to have grown up with access to the ocean, specifically Southern California.

I sometimes see things outside of the art world that are very aesthetically imaginative but built for practical purposes. Fishing lures are a prime example of this. Since I was a kid, I've always been fascinated by lures; the designs, the colors and the materials. Observed closely, they are miniature, master-works of contemporary art.

Sometimes we forget that an individual or individuals visually create literally everything artificially made. I've often wondered about the persons that conceive these little aquatic jewels. "Lure", my sculpture appearing in Surfboards On Parade, is an homage to the imaginative but nameless artists who dream them into existence.


@_ithaka_ (Instagram) 
http://ithakaofficial.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ithaka_Darin_Pappas


No comments:

Post a Comment